One sentence summary: In the 1960's a doctor is forced to deliver his own twins, and makes the detrimental decision to send one away rather than raise it.

Since it's been a week, my initial observations are fading into the back crevices of my brain (yes, I'm sure that's anatomically incorrect, oh well). So I wouldn't even bother with this review... except that parts of this book keep coming back to me.
Specifically: I think Kim Edwards did an amazing job with the portrayal of postpartum depression, or depression in general. If you've read the book, or will be, I'm referring to the doctor's wife, Norah. That wasn't the main issue of the book, so I'm surprised that it hit me so hard. Edwards does a fairly good job describing the thoughts and motivations of the main characters, and Norah really blew me away. Maybe others can't relate, but I could almost understand and justify why Norah did some of the stupid things she did. I'm not going to add any more details concerning her portrayal of depression because it's just too complex, you have to check it out for yourself.
From reading this it would be easy to assume that the book is an overall depressing book. I wouldn't agree with that; I thought it was inspiring, thought-provoking, and had a fairly happily-ever-after ending. Edwards just had a talented way of writing about depression. In case you were wondering, she does find a way out of her depressing moods.
I briefly read up on the new movie based on this book. I hear it didn't do justice to the Norah-depression issue. So if you're interested, don't just watch the movie... try out the book!
I also gained a better understanding of the progressive views towards Down Syndrome. This was an excellent companion to my recent viewing of the highly educational and powerful movie, Music Within.
For those of you haven't read the book, you're probably lost. Maybe these thoughts will entice you to pick it up, or make you want to steer clear. Either way, that's what I have to say.
p.s. If you have much interest in photography you'd also probably appreciate this book.
5 comments:
my sister read this book before we moved out here and really enjoyed it. ;) i know i'll get around to it sometime. thanks for the review, you have a talent with words.
Sounds like a really good read, I will have to get a copy.
I just was looking at buying this online but wanted to see if anyone else had read it...thanks for the suggestion!
I watched the movie and thought it was good. But they really don't play up on the Norah character, its pretty much focused on the father. I will have to read the book. Thanks for the review.
do you have a list of your book club books? I love the books that are chosen there since Shiela is sort of in charge and has good reads...let me know.
Post a Comment