I am not ashamed: I like Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.
I have read the series three times to come to that conclusion. The first time I read the books quickly, intrigued by the plot. The second time I declared mature disinterest... but still finished the series. Then my interest was peaked when I heard of readers that didn't like my hero of the books, they liked 'that other guy.' So then I had to read the books again to see what they were so excited about. I still don't see.
Yes, I will admit that her language is nothing spectacular. She doesn't string words together in a way that leaves me awestruck; itching to read a sentence over again for the beauty of it. Sometimes the cliché phrases make my eyes roll.
That said, I think Meyer is a genius with plot and character development.
Masterful Plot
I am an avid reader and yet this is the first and only series I have had to buy the books because I couldn't wait to borrow. It's the only series I've read more than once. After the third book I was so frustrated that a conclusion hadn't been reached, I swore off the books. The boycott lasted a few months. From what I hear readers get through these books quickly, eager to see what happens next. What she lacks in vocabulary she makes up for with sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat plot.
Dynamic Characters
Have you ever heard of a romance novel where the readers are rooting for different prince charmings? It's rare. Usually we're all rooting for Mr. Darcy or... Prince Charming. It's typical to have the protagonist and antagonist... aka the good guy and the bad guy. That's how I read it the first time. But now I recognize that many readers see my hero as the bad guy. Meyer knows how to cater to her different readers, recognizing that we are not all attracted to the same type of people. I have noticed a pattern: many of the Jacob fans are the younger readers, while the Edward fans are older, often married. Perhaps some young Jacob fans could find their preferences changed ten years from now. Either way, I am intrigued that Meyers is able to create these round characters that trigger such a wide range of responses. For the critics out there, could you create such dynamic characters?
Speaking of critics, I hear some refer to these books as "guilty pleasures." Guilty because the hero is ridiculously chivalrous? Guilty because the boyfriend does NOT want the relationship to progress physically? Guilty because there is NO premarital sex? The moral standards depicted are much higher than most other media. Heaven forbid our youth should enjoy media that shuns premarital sex.
If I am guilty by approving of a male figure that opens doors, shuns long kissing, wants to marry his girlfriend, and is trying to live above the natural man (er, monster) in him, then so be it. My approval of Edward in no way lessens my intense love for my husband. It does make me relieved that my beloved shows no interest in drinking my blood.
5 comments:
Amen, my feelings precisely. I guess the reason I think of them as "guilty pleasures" is that the English major in me (or my husband who refuses to read them) disapproves of plot-driven popular literature, but I agree, what a plot. For the record, I am a Jacob fan, so I was really happy by the turn of events in the last book. I also felt like Edward was kind of a flat character, but I should probably read them again to substantiate that. A very well-written and thought-through analysis. Thanks for convincing my dad, who wouldn't be convinced by my angry rants, that these books are not tripe.
Nice post! I agree with everything you said. She's not a phenomenal writer in terms of her vocabulary, but her story lines are interesting and fun to read.
Agreed they were interesting and delightful like candy. Still a Jacob fan, but totally turned off by the movie. I felt like the movie pointed out a lot of what my brain shielded me from. But hear hear, Meier did what she set out to do.
The hair on the back of my neck just raises when I hear her referred to as the next JK Rowling.
They were a fun vacation for my brain.
Love it!! Don't you wish this series was out during our adolescent lit class?? Speaking of, I love your blog because it allows me to read your creative writing again, just like in our HS and college days. :)
ugh... i can't believe you liked that series! who in their right mind would read such books... oh wait... i read them all too.. HAHA good post!
Post a Comment