Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mobile Efficiency

It has been over 48 hours since my iPod Touch gave up on me.  I hold no harsh feelings because it was being used between 3-8 hours a day for the past 5 weeks.  It was also the occasional victim to Mari's drooling mouth and sharp teeth (I tried hard to avoid this, but alas, I am a mother with babies surrounded).  Before that it received months of use by Janson; in a more protective manner but daily nonetheless.

Since its leave of absence, I have sorely missed my:

  • email
  • calendar
  • address book
  • Facebook
  • RSS feeds (blogs)
  • recipe collection
  • weather updates
  • maps
  • scriptures
  • music
  • grocery lists
  • packing lists
  • to-do lists
The anti-tech people out there may say, "I told you so."  I understand that.  I have paper or digital back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost forever.  Yet while transient and couch-ridden (oxymoron, I know, but still true) having all of these resources condensed into the palm of my hand has been invaluable.  It's also a wonderful alternative to hauling the paper book versions of these resources in a suitcase, or stacked around the couch.  

I watched the poor iPod turn itself on and off three times in a row.  It looked so confused.  After that I took off its rubber skin and water dripped off the machine.  Oh dear.  Results of Mari's mouth or a wet kitchen table, who knows.

Hopefully the warranty will cover my poor iPod, otherwise I know where my Christmas money is going.  I have experienced the wonders of mobile efficiency, and I'm not sure if I can walk away from that.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

you have a way with words lynn. :) you make me want an ipod touch.

Holm Life said...

My heart goes to you--from the couch, your IPOD Touch was your link to the world and that form of sanity that comes with being able to communicate and overcome the limitations of being on bed-rest (and also transient!) I hope the warranty covers it!