In the past several months I have sat idly by as people I love and admire have fallen victim to negative remarks regarding their political and social views. I am ashamed of my passive stance, and hope this post can show my support of family and friends. This article voices my own recent sentiments. Since it's not too long, and the link is probably not permanent, here is the actual letter:
Saying that ‘church’ must help means we all must help
Friday, February 20th, 2009
During conversations with several family members who happen to be very politically opinionated in one direction over the other, I heard the statement that the "churches" need to pick up the slack socially and financially where the public (government) can not as they did during the Great Depression.
I find this statement hypocritical, as they always seem to exclude themselves from "the church." More than once I've asked them, "Who is the church, and aren't you part of that?" I'd also like to ask them, "What part of someone's medical bill are you willing to pick up or who's mortgage payment can you pay, in addition to your own, until that family finds work again and can get back on their feet?"
The only response I've gotten is that they don't want government involved in regulating business in any way and, again, that the churches need to get more involved. I'd also like to remind them there were not many churches during the Great Depression that were able to save people's farms, homes or businesses or pay outstanding medical bills.
What many churches were able to do was to open their fellowship halls to provide meals and a place to sleep and wash up until those suffering got back on their feet.
I try to convince my family members that for the most part social programs are not a bad thing, that they help people recover and become productive again, but I get labeled a liberalist, socialist or, heaven forbid, a Democrat, which somehow calls my relationship with Christ in question.
The sad thing is that this view is sometimes spoken from the pulpit. Regardless, I'll continue praying for my family and my country and ask that God bless them and America.
Written by Michelle Turner of Greenleaf, Idaho
Saying that ‘church’ must help means we all must help
Friday, February 20th, 2009
During conversations with several family members who happen to be very politically opinionated in one direction over the other, I heard the statement that the "churches" need to pick up the slack socially and financially where the public (government) can not as they did during the Great Depression.
I find this statement hypocritical, as they always seem to exclude themselves from "the church." More than once I've asked them, "Who is the church, and aren't you part of that?" I'd also like to ask them, "What part of someone's medical bill are you willing to pick up or who's mortgage payment can you pay, in addition to your own, until that family finds work again and can get back on their feet?"
The only response I've gotten is that they don't want government involved in regulating business in any way and, again, that the churches need to get more involved. I'd also like to remind them there were not many churches during the Great Depression that were able to save people's farms, homes or businesses or pay outstanding medical bills.
What many churches were able to do was to open their fellowship halls to provide meals and a place to sleep and wash up until those suffering got back on their feet.
I try to convince my family members that for the most part social programs are not a bad thing, that they help people recover and become productive again, but I get labeled a liberalist, socialist or, heaven forbid, a Democrat, which somehow calls my relationship with Christ in question.
The sad thing is that this view is sometimes spoken from the pulpit. Regardless, I'll continue praying for my family and my country and ask that God bless them and America.
Written by Michelle Turner of Greenleaf, Idaho
4 comments:
I really really appreciated reading this. Its true though, how much can you expect others to take on when you aren't willing to shoulder some of the burden?
Progress is on its way and hopefully some form of elleviation but it will come sooner if people are more willing to serve others and help out in simple ways.
That doesn't seem to be that radical, just a call to responsibility for everyone. But people seem to have forgotten how to step up to the plate when they demand the "church" or "government" to do so.
Thanks for sharing Lynn.
Lynn, Thanks for the great article. It is well written and expresses my feelings, and your dad's, exactly. It amazes me at how polarizing politics can be in 'the church'. Thanks
Love this. I'm quite sick of hearing comments like what this lady is talking about preached right in the middle of Sunday School in our extremely conservative ward.
I got on to prepare my Sunbeam lesson, and here I am! That is a great letter. Very true.
Post a Comment