
My previous post was a bit heavy, so I thought I'd post something fun.
The fireflies are out and it makes me giddy! Like many others, I connect fireflies to fond childhood memories. I remember watching fireflies from the back porch of my grandparent's farmhouse.
For this post I did some Wikipedia reading. This section made me laugh:
Female Photuris fireflies are known for mimicking the mating flashes of other fireflies for the sole purpose of predation. Target males are attracted to what appears to be a suitable mate, and are then eaten. For this reason the Photuris female is sometimes referred to as "femme fatale".
Of course I then had to click on the "femme fatale" link and read all about that. Such fun. I also learned that rare groups of fireflies synchronize their blinking! Wow. These little lightning bugs have some brains, especially those females. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment