
I feel like I should be in a circle of people sitting on folding chairs as I introduce myself: "Hi, my name is Lynn and I have chronic back pain." Once a week I'll slip out of the house disguised with hat and sunglasses as I attend my BPA (Back Pain Anonymous) meetings. Ok, so the BPA thing is completely fictional, but it probably exists somewhere.
When I first herniated my disk I kept thinking, "I'm not going to let this rule my life. I'm going to get my life back." Well, I'm learning. Such as... I dropped by mayoclinic.com (a fav site of mine) to help Janson out with canker sore home remedies. Afterwards I searched "herniated disk." As I was reading information I already knew, I noticed an unusual subtopic: Coping and Support. Why, oh why?! The word "cope" was not something I wanted to link to my pain. I wanted words like "cure," "healed," or even better, "miracle."
As we all know (and as Mayo Clinic so kindly reminded me), the first step of coping is acceptance. Hence my previously stated introduction. I am slowly accepting chronic pain as a part of my life, and trying to adjust my life so that I can rule my pain, rather than it rule me.
I have a profound, new respect for others who suffer from chronic pain. That includes one of my favorite TV characters, House, MD. Stay tuned for more on that thought...
8 comments:
I am so sorry. I can't imagine what that must be like. Please call me if there is anything I can do to help you.
Girl I'm so sorry you're dealing with this again... it seems like it had been relatively better until now... that or I'm just a bad friend and don't know whats going on. :) If you ever make it out this way again, I actually know of an amazing doctor who has "cured" people of this type of back pain. So good luck "accepting", at least for the time being, but don't give up hope completely!!
Wow...I'm so sorry. It has to be so hard for you, plus your two girls (not to mention Janson). What do the mayoclinic.com sites say about recovery? What is involved?
I hope hope hope you get to feeling better soon.
I hope that you start feeling better soon. If you need help with teh kids let us know or need meals brought in when your hubby is gone then let us know we can help you out:)
Hey Lynn,
I thought back pain was a myth, until I sprained mine and could't moved for a week. I was so out of it I took my "night-time" meds first thing in the morning and was forced to keep myself awake to take care of Sid. Although, most of the time I was lying flat on my back, in the living room while she was screaming. Hang in there - you will find something that makes it bareable. Take care sweety!
If only we lived closer to you...Matt's chiropractic clinic specialized in chronic low back pain and herniated disks problems. I hope you can find some much needed relief!
Lynn, that answers my question about "But how is Lynn doing now?" I'm so sorry. We continue to mention you in our prayers and we do hope you find help to cope, and hopefully someday (sooner rather than later) a cure. We love you and think of you every day, even when we don't check the blog very often.
Wow lynn, I'm sorry to hear about your pains, I had no idea. Back pains are never fun, but constant back pains and having to learn to live with it is something I really can't imagine what it'd be like to really hurt my back.
Do you remember how your chest use to hurt sometimes when we'd hang out? Did that just go away over time or what was that?
Post a Comment