Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Hess Family


Ryan Hess, a fellow alum from Janson's podiatry school, was recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Like us, he is a podiatry resident and his wife is a young stay-at-home-mom of two kids. When Janson entered podiatry school four years ago, Ryan was assigned as Janson's "big brother" to help orient him. It is heartbreaking for us to learn of their current trials. It feels good to know we can help in a small way by sharing their story.

For the past couple weeks Janson has been doing orientation for residency. As a wife I have attended a couple of the social functions. Every time I am introduced to a doctor, resident or spouse at these events, I get a comment or look that equals this, "Are you ready for three years of hell?" All I can do is shrug it off, but inside my fear grows. Janson's schedule is supposed to be grueling, along with work to take home and many hours on call. I already hate his pager! :)

With word of the Hess family struggles, I am humbled. We have had our own share of learning opportunities from major health crises, but nothing life or death. Read of their commitment to press on gives me hope.

No comments: