Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Parenting Advice

I am often overwhelmed by parenting advice. Sometimes I am sensitive to the more and less obvious judgment of others. I know that no matter how hard we try to perfect our parenting, someone will think we:
  • put them to bed too early, or too late
  • spend too little time with our kids, or too much (as in, not enough for ourselves)
  • keep our kids too busy, or not busy enough
  • toilet train them too early, or too late
  • discipline them too harshly, or call us push-overs
  • read them too few books, or too many (and not enough time vacuuming)
  • breastfeed until they're too old, or not old enough
  • teach them new things too soon, or too late
  • spend too much time caring about our own appearances, or not enough
I'm not the first or last parent to recognize and worry about the importance of parenting.  I feel like a terrible mother at least once a day. I also feel quite alone at least once a day. In a desperate potty-training moment, I realized that the challenge at hand was solely mine.  No one was coming to save me. Not at that moment, not later that night, not next week. When the going gets tough, Dr. Sears isn’t going to come calm my temper, or the “wise” neighbor down the street isn’t going to put my children to sleep in the manner she deems appropriate. Then I had this mental conversation with my husband:

Me: I feel so alone! I can’t do this by myself!
Janson: Oh Lynn, you are never alone.
Me: stick my tongue out...

And I did the only thing left to do: got down on my knees and prayed. As parents the only trustworthy advice is that which comes from above. How refreshing it is to throw out the advice of books and others and simply trust the Lord. Now I just need to kick that annoying habit I have of caring what others think. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Testing said...

I know my opinion doesn't matter- but you have two healthy, happy girls who are growing and developing great- that means you're doing just fine. But standing back and trusting the Lord is a great piece of advice for any parent- thanks for the reminder!

Butler Family said...

I agree with what John and Lindsey said and I just had my cousin tell me the same thing they said and I didn't believe it till she told me and now it has sunk in but I even still feeel like I ALWAYS do something wrong and I may not always be a good parent but you DO have two little girls who are well fed and who are very HAPPY and who are growing the way they should be!! You shouldn't let anyone take that happiness and joy for your kids and your role as a mom away from you. I have seen you. You are a fANTASTIC mother!!! I am here if you want to talk and I KNOW you are doing everything just fine.!

Jeff and aimie said...

About the potty training thing, I know that i havent had to deal with that yet, but i have nieces and nephews. Next time you see me ask me about the Pee pee and Poopy party!!! It has worked for them really easy. it sounds funny but works!!