Last night's schedule of events:
My phone rings. I'm standing outside the kitchen at church, and I drop Mari to answer the call.
The call is short. But this is my brand new phone that I love so much, so I enjoy using it.
I put the phone down on the kitchen counter to pick up crying Mari.
Mari immediately grabs the phone and drops it in a near glass of water.
I drop Mari and start hyperventilating.
Mari runs away, and Grace needs my attention.
I start taking my new phone apart, dry it off.
I'm trying to hold a conversation with Grace while fix my phone.
Mari is screaming bloody murder outside the Bishop's office for 5 min, which makes me sweat profusely.
I say my quick goodbyes to the church crowd. This is my last event with this ward.
I open the car door, I notice that the power locks don't seem to kick in.
Automatically I know that is bad. Very bad.
The girls get in the car and start climbing around the seats.
I try to start the car. Nothing. Again. Again. Again.
Mari is jumping in a leftover tray of brownies from refreshments.
Grace is belting out Dora's "backpack" song.
I call Janson and say, "My car won't start," and the call drops.
I repeat that short call, this time I hear him say, "I'm coming" before the call ends.
While waiting for him, I listen to the car's "open door" ding/light attempt to do it's stuff. It's pitifully struggling.
I watch my spankin' new, expensive phone start calling people randomly.
I give in and turn off my phone.
Janson shows up. Tries to jump the car. Nothing.
Mari is running around the church parking lot at 9:10pm.
Grace is rolling around in the grass.
Janson gives me a hopeless look.
Mari's diaper is so full that her skirt and diaper both fall down to her ankles, in the church parking lot.
I go inside and change her diaper.
Come out, we all get in Janson's car. Try not to talk about my car.
The girls are screaming, and we are screaming in our heads.
This morning it is still sitting in the church parking lot. Unless it's been towed.
Janson is taking Board Exams Part III as I write this.
Then we'll tackle the car, and his parents will fly in from ID, and tomorrow we'll go to graduation receptions downtown, and clean and pack, and my family will get into town, and Friday morning I'll wake up really early to take the girls to a babysitter and we'll all try to catch a train to go downtown and see Janson graduate into a doctor, and then we'll finish packing and cleaning and then early Saturday morning we'll get the moving truck, the ward will help us move out/ clean up and we'll be off.
But first I have to worry about my dead Camry, wearing some various expired stickers, sitting in a parking lot a block away from the police station.
I am not thinking about my new phone, which my husband creatively wrapped in a highly absorbent diaper. (Hey, whatareya supposed to do when the blow dryer and rice are packed?)
What are the chances? Important life events seem to be a magnet for car trouble, and phone trouble, and whatever kind of trouble is available at the moment. I know I'm not the only sufferer of this odd, unfortunate tradition. We can all relate in some way or another, right? We all have these insufferably hard weeks that surround an incredibly good event. Whew.
2 comments:
Man oh man. That's a rough little tale. Well told. Good luck with all of that. But, what an exciting week for you guys! Enjoy it. ;)
Oh Lynn! What a week for you! I'm sorry it's been so rough, but just think of how awesome it will be as you sit and watch Janson graduate. I am so thrilled for you guys.
Post a Comment