Monday, January 5, 2009

Book Review: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I suffer from nontheateritis.  Many of us parents of young children suffer from it.  I rarely get to the theater.*  I've been itching to read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button since hearing that it's written by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I got it from the library today and read it within an hour.

In case you've missed the movie previews, it's a fun little short story about a man that is born old and "ages" backwards. The natural first question seems to be "How was he born?" Well in the story Fitzgerald conveniently ignores that topic. For those not suffering from nontheateritis, how does Hollywood answer the question?  

I was pretty depressed at the end, as I read of the death of a "newborn" baby.  Sorry if that was a spoiler, but I had assumed that ending before opening the book.  It was a downer for me, and to pep myself up I plan to start the Harry Potter series within the hour.  It was a good quality read, though, so I'll recommend the short story to anyone.  

The time it took you to read this post, you could have read a third of the Benjamin Button story.  So stop reading mediocre internet writing and crack open some Fitzgerald.

*The past six weeks being an exception.  I went to Twilight twice with my sister.

1 comment:

Holm Life said...

We went to Benjamin Button on Christmas. (And true to my Beatrix Potter instincts, I want to call him Benjamin Bunny!) Spencer read the story a day or two later, and said the story was more depressing and very different from the movie-- Benjamin is more evil. Of course with Brad Pitt as Benjamin, there have to be chances for sex-- those were the parts I didn't like. Gratuitous. Cate Blanchett looked good and I loved her red hair and dancing. (Very different from Elizabeth I!) It was loooong-- I guess moving through a life backwards means you move along slow-- though you'd think it would move faster toward the end. Norm and I choose "Eagle Eye" as the best movie we saw over the holidays.