Friday, January 30, 2009

Book Review: The Testament

This John Grisham book is a rare adult book that I thoroughly enjoyed! I rolled my eyes at the beginning when the setting was that of millionaires and billionaires (because, really, how in the world are we supposed to relate to three houses and a jet?!), but quickly he alternated chapters with third world Brazil. Grisham did a great job of comparing the two different lifestyles. If you got depressed with the impoverished life in Brazil, you were quickly navigated to the life of America's wealthiest. And then when you were beginning to feel sick from the millionaires wasting money while you struggle with your rent, Grisham switches you back to Brazil.

I liked learning a little more about the Brazilian "outback" and the Christian missionary efforts taking place there. I also enjoyed just enough legalese to work my brain. To my surprise, the main character (of course a lawyer) actually converts to Christianity and Grisham explores his spiritual progression. I kept waiting for some anti-organized-religion spin (as we so often find in media these days), but it never came! Not only that, but it includes anti-drinking, anti-smoking and anti-adultery sentiments. Sweet! According to my limited knowledge, that's a pretty different take for Grisham.

Beware: the book has a sad little twist at the end, but I thought it was a good sign that I got emotional about it. (A lot of times when sadness comes at the end I just yell, "Ah, c'mon!" and throw the book out the window.)

So check it out, it'll give your brain a little exercise, or vacation... whichever way you see it.

2 comments:

Eric Oba said...

HEY...if you liked The Testament, you should try The Appeal... i listened to it on Audio Book and i thought it was really good. It talks about lawsuits and appeals against multi-million dollar corporations. The little people trying to sue the big people.. i thought it was really interesting.

A said...

i read this years ago and loved it, glad you enjoyed it too!