
I have to write up a quick review of this movie because Ryan Gosling blew me away as the main character. He plays a delusional 27-year old man who truly believes a life-size plastic doll is his girlfriend. In the small rural town, his doctor convinces the town to play along with his delusion. That part of it seems a bit unrealistic, but the compassion portrayed is beautiful. Patricia Clarkson, who plays his doctor, is my second favorite actor in this show. For some reason I couldn't get enough of the clothing styles. There's one area that didn't seem to have a conclusion: what is up with Lars' brother Gus? Why isn't he working?
Speaking of Gus, there's a conversation between the two brothers that I loved. Like so many of us, Lars seems to be resisting the reality of adulthood and growing up. Lars asked Gus, "How did you know when you were a man?" And Gus replied:
Gus: Well, it's not like you're all one thing or the other, okay? There's still a kid inside, but you grow up when you decide to do right. And not what's right for you, what's right for everybody, even when it hurts.
Lars: Like what?
Gus: You know, like you don't jerk people around, you know. And you don't cheat on your woman. And you take care of your family, you know. You admit when you're wrong, or you try to, anyways [...] It sounds like it's easy and for some reason it's not.
1 comment:
Lars and the Real Girl was a .... humm ... different movie. Some awkward moments, but I liked it. I enjoyed watching how everyone reacted to his girlfriend and ended up supporting him rather than ridiculing him.
Post a Comment