Saturday, March 15, 2008

Soothing Chocolate


I ate an entire small bag of M&M's on my way home from the grocery store today. And not just the plain M&M's, but the Dark Chocolate Peanut M&M's. I blame my friend Julianne for introducing me to these. Mari had been exerting her "death scream" (mentioned in a previous post) for a good 45 minutes and I was at my wits end. I know I am not the only parent who gets very stressed out when their baby is screaming and you can't soothe them. By the time I got to the check out I was going crazy trying to think of ways to soothe my child. I grabbed the chocolate and flung it on the conveyer belt. I was horrified (and sick to my stomach) when I realized the bag was gone and I wasn't even home yet. It was then I realized my warped reasoning: if I can't soothe my baby then I will at least try to soothe myself. So I ate chocolate. Holding the empty bag in my hand I realized change was necessary. My two options: the girls never cry again or I confiscate chocolate. Since only the latter is a realistic option, wish me luck!
P.S. I would also love to be reassured to hear that I am not the only one turning to food for comfort, although the lack of reassurance would definitely motivate me towards change.

3 comments:

Testing said...

sorry, i'm a believer in the healing power of chocolate, so i'm not here to talk you out of it- if that's all it takes to feel better, i say do it!

Brooke said...

This will likely hinder any motivation for change... dark chocolate has actually proven to be healthy for you, it prevents heart disease. Unfortunately, I dislike dark chocolate and just stuff myself with the milk, no health benefit there. So you're a step ahead of me!! :)

A said...

Dark Chocolate, has gotten me this far in life(school, marriage), and will continue to do so. It bugs Ryan sometimes, and kudos on the choice of dark over milk, I applaud you.