
The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1: The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi & Holly Black
An advantage to rarely seeing movies in theaters: I have plenty of time to read the book before seeing the movie (or not seeing the movie, if I dislike the book). Upon finishing this book I have decided I'm a fan. For my situation it's perfect. Each book is short and entertaining, so I have time to finish it in my "free" time and not lose track of the plot. I am a very recent convert to fantasy, but I love the "escape" it gives me from the real world. This book has a Narnia feel to it, but I think the series unique characteristics let it stand on its own. Stay tuned for the next books.

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
It has been over a dozen years since I last read this classic, so I conveniently couldn't remember the plot. All I could recall was that the main character was a homeless boy. I figured the book would be depressing, and lately I have been putting down and shutting off depressing books and movies. But I felt that Spinelli kept this book light-hearted, a real feat considering the subject. He also knows how to create an image using words in a fresh, unusual way. Here's one sentence I liked:
"During the night, March doubled back and grabbed April by the scruff of the neck and flung it another week or two down the road." (Spinelli, 149)
Hopefully that doesn't happen this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment