Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Private vs. Public

Yesterday I made the mistake of reading the first couple chapters of Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane. Ben Affleck directed a movie by the same name (based on the book). It's about a cute four year old girl who gets kidnapped. You can imagine how such reading can affect a mother of young children. It will now take me several weeks to cure my paranoia. I show very little humility in admitting that my children are beautiful! And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I know I am not the only mother who feels this way about their own children, so you can think I'm prideful if you want. I have yet to meet the woman who doesn't think their child is wonderful, although I hear they are out there.

I am fine with flaunting my children's darling images and talents online, but now I am wary of strangers' eyes. Before opening this book I had already been toying with the idea of making my family's blog private rather than public. My creative imagination has plotted a plethora of ways the unkind but intelligent stranger could dabble in stalking or identity theft via the innocent blogs of families. I feel that I have done a decent job of keeping Holmfeet void of elements that could be handy to the unkind. But now I will be doing my own blog "deep-cleaning." Our ultimate purpose of the family blog is to share pictures and videos with family. Since I am hoping to keep the blog user-friendly, and not all of our family have a blogger account, I'm avoiding the move to private. For those that frequent our family blog, feel free to cast your vote via comments.

2 comments:

Testing said...

I had ours protected, all you do is invite people by email and I think they can sign in by making their email a google account.

Testing said...

Sorry, one more thing- the one thing I couldn't figure out is how to let people know when it was updated, cause the google reader doesn't post the feeds that are blocked. If you figure that one out, I'd probably protect mine too.